8.24.2009

India sketchbook

I didn't obtain access to a scanner until the day before I left India, and then I was so busy gorging myself on a final round of dosas, stuffed lady fingers, and parathas that I ran out of time to post the scans. Bummer. Here are a couple of images from the little spiral-bound (+ pen and tiny watercolor set) I carried with me everywhere I went.


Imaginative sketches made during my "Delhi belly"-induced confinement.

Inspired by the craggy hills surrounding the village of Palampur.(I didn't have time to make a sketch on-site, so I had to rely on memory.)

Statues from the home I stayed at in Hyderabad. The Shahs had countless antique paintings, carvings, and statues lining the walls, floors, and ceilings.

And a quick sketch of one of those bloody autorickshaws that contribute so much to noise, pollution, and traffic deaths in India. But in the middle of the night on a crowded freeway lined with 8" speedbumps, riding in the back of one of the little devils WAS an experience...

3 comments:

Luke Lowry said...

You've really gotten to be an impressive artist since High School. My favorite is the deadly autorickshaw, mostly because of how I imagine riding in one would be like. We'll have to exchange stories sometime if you're back in the States.

Trevor said...

Thanks Luke :) Of course, the more I develop my skills the more I realise how far I have to go before I will consider myself good, real, legit, etc. Having been exposed to REAL artists and truly amazing work, I've forced myself to set the bar depressingly (perhaps even impossibly) high. I'm sure you've experienced the same phenomenon as you continue to pursue science and medicine. There's simply too much to learn!

Steve Tank said...

Welcome home, Trevor! These are great! I love the watercolors. I would have gotten frustrated at my first attempt and flung my tiny watercolor set off the nearest craggy hill. Speaking of which, the craggy hills are my favorite (or maybe the bottom statue image).

 
Clicky Web Analytics